Sunday, July 1, 2012

Lies, Weeds, and Holes in the Walls...


   I quickly set the phone down on the kitchen counter, trying to take some deep breaths and calm down. I walked dejectedly back to our bedroom trying to swallow the sobs that were threatening to surface. My heart hurt. I had just received some more bad news.
As soon as I made it to our bed I threw myself into the closest pillow and let the tears rush out. I buried my face hard into the pillow to muffle the gulping heart wrenched sobs that were echoing through my body and out of my mouth.

Was the news that horrible? It sure sounds like it was really bad news doesn’t it?  Sadly no, I was having an over emotional moment over some minor bad news laced with the lies of the devil.  
         Satan
                   found
                              the
                                    hole
                                             in
                                                 my
                                                        wall.

He wormed and weaseled his way in and within minutes I was close to tears. My perky and happy mood was crushed and I was frantically trying to get off of the phone with my husband so that he didn’t hear me cry.

The thoughts were flooding me now. No, not thoughts, but lies… Lies from the father of lies himself. (John 8:44)

This is not the first time this has happened. They always seem to say things like, “You just never get it right.” Or “You are so stupid! You are a horrible mom. You will never be good enough. You are such a failure!” As I cried into the pillow I finally pulled my head free to get a good deep cleansing breath. Then I just laid there in silence…
              Thinking,
                            “This is silly!”

 I was trying to grab some truths from God’s word to combat the enemy and feeling silly at how something so small had set me off.  I even checked the date trying to see if the hormones were kicking in.  I pulled myself upright and thought,

 “Stop acting like a hormonal teenager!”

I knew I needed to start telling the enemy to take a hike, literally. I then thought of Elijah. Directly after he won this battle through God over the 600 prophets of Baal, with one little threat from Queen Jezebel he ran off and hid. He out and out threw himself a pity party in the desert because of one angry woman.

We are coming off of a great victory for the Lord. We just put on a huge youth event and God moved greatly through it, but what is it we always tell our teens after we go to a retreat or mission trip?

“Get ready. The enemy is going to attack you. He will try to steal your joy and the commitments you have made this weekend.”

It’s true. It was happening to me.

Do you ever experience this? I know that if I don’t attack this head on right now, satan will spread his lies throughout my heart and mind and I will dive back into depression. He is always there waiting to distract us from our heavenly Father just enough so that he gets in and plants his weeds of doubt and despair.

It’s time to do some weeding.  It’s time to pull out the enemies lies and plant God’s truth in those holes. It’s time to fortify the walls of my heart and mind with God’s love and His rock solid word. I need to post guards to stay alert in my heart and mind. It’s time to kick the dirtbag satan into outerspace and not allow him a return flight.

Are you in the midst of this right now? I am telling you it’s time to allow God’s truth to be the only radio station you stay tuned to. It’s time to allow Him into your heart to heal your wounds and to strengthen your crumbling walls. Allow Him to do the amazing on the inside of your heart.

Turn on that praise music to full blast and sing and shout out to the Lord for He is worthy and the enemy will flee at His name. Cling to verses that speak specifically to your worth in Christ, and about God’s plans for you.

Here are some of my favorites when I am in the midst of doing battle with the enemy.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Psalm 103, especially verses 11-12

Jeremiah 29:11-12

Psalm 139: 1-18

Psalm 91

Psalm 23

Some of my favorite Praise songs in the midst of trials…
The Desert Song – Hillsong
Oh How He Loves -- David Crowder version
Search my Heart – Hillsong
Forever reign – Shane and Shane version
Come Awake – Matt Maher
Never Once –Matt Redman
Our God ( is Greater) – Chris Tomlin
I Call You – Rita Springer
God is Able -- Hillsong
Be Thou My Vision

Are you battling the enemy right now?
Please do not think you are alone.

If you are battling this please
share your prayer requests.

I would love to be in prayer for you.
Or feel free to share your favorite verses
and praise songs on here that have helped you through a tough time.

1 comment:

  1. Great concrete suggestions! I have to share: I just LAST NIGHT submitted a post to (in)courage.com about this SAME topic! The lies we believe and the truth we need to combat it---such an important message!

    ReplyDelete