Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Is it Good News?


The Gospel...

The Good News.

Do we treat the Good News like it is actually good news?

Or do we treat it like a dirty little secret, ashamed of what others might think?

Are we hindered by the fear of sharing this news and sounding narrow minded?

Have we listened for far too long to the media and forgotten what it is we are really hiding?


The Good News

It’s the greatest Truth anyone has ever chosen to share with me. Honestly? I didn’t want to hear it. Like a little child plugging her ears and humming a tune, I tried my hardest not to. I wrestled with God because I had bought into the lie that by following this, “narrow minded” Jesus and becoming a sold out “SAVED” Christian I would lose my freedom. I thought I would be hindered and bound by endless rules. Instead, I found unconditional love, unfailing hope and the freedom I had only dreamed of.  

I am so grateful to those who did not give up on me. I am grateful to those who lived a transparent life of their struggles in their faith. I am grateful to those who shared their joy and Christ’s unconditional love with me. They lived and spoke of His heart.  They left me curious, and frustrated trying to reconcile their actions to the stereotypes of Christianity that I had bought into.

They were dispelling the myths and just giving me Jesus.

We have a love story to share with everyone. We have a story that looses the chains of sin, that breaks the captives free, that can take something broken or wounded and make it whole. We have a love to share with those who feel they are unlovable and with those who have lost hope. We have amazingly good news to share with everyone.

If you are struggling with the “how” and fear of sharing, then I ask you to try the following things. First take some time each day this week and focus on praising God for what He has done in your life. Celebrate the joys and healings He has brought to you. Give thanks for the small and the big. Ask His Holy Spirit to fill you to over-flowing and to guide you each day with your words and actions.

Then remember it really is Good News!

Follow Jesus’ example and just love people right where they are at, not where they “could” be. Listen to them more than you speak. Really listen!  Pray and look for ways to encourage them, being God’s hands and feet really bless them.  Then, you will discover that God will give you the moments to speak and the words to say.

Your actions will be demonstrations of His love. Your words and encouragements can lead someone to His truths. It’s His power, love, and truth working through you. Just be you. Just be honest about your success and your failures in sharing what you have discovered about Jesus and choosing to follow Him. 
Just give them Jesus. 
His love and redemption really are Good News!

Acts 20:24
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.

Romans 10:13-15
...for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Are you struggling with this?

Do you have fears or encouragements you would like to share?

Please do, I would love to hear from you or pray for and encourage you.




2 comments:

  1. Good words about the Good News, Heather! He gave His life for us, now we need to give ours away for Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the beautiful reminder, and for linking up today,
    Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete