Monday, June 25, 2012

Love Does...


I am sitting here in Peepee's home writing this blog a bit late for this week’s deadline. Really his name is Pastor Jim, but honestly he and Miss Sheila will always be Peepee and Meemee in my heart and in my mind. These were the names he gave us to call them when we were on our mission trip in South Africa together. At that time he and Meemee were about to be grandparents and a more excited set of grandparents you could not find. If you have not noticed yet he is quite a character. There is always some mischief going on when he is around especially when there is a twinkle in his eyes. (I will have you know, there is almost always a twinkle so you have been fore-warned.)

Today is a hot, sunny and slightly muggy day here in Tennessee. Their beautiful home is pleasantly quiet as everyone takes a well needed rest from this last week’s excitement and thrills at the youth camp for Pastor Jim's, "Peepee's" church. I find myself gratefully lounging in one of their wonderful comfy chairs while dear Julia takes a nap on the couch near me. I must remember to awaken her in an hour or so.

I know none of this sounds very thrilling, but I find myself overwhelmed with God's peace and I am so very grateful. This trip almost did not happen. In so many ways the enemy tried to meddle and put a halting stop on those traveling here to Pikeville, Tennessee.

This was a trip designed by God and carried through by Pastor Jim and Miss Sheila's obedience to God's request to bring a South African mission’s team to the Youth Camp this week to speak to the youth.  


You see last year, right about this time Andria, myself, and 4 others were getting ready to leave for South Africa. It was an absolutely amazing trip that changed our lives and hearts in many ways. While we were serving there we met some of the most wonderful friends and family in Christ from all over the U.S. and South Africa.

We have had such an ache in our hearts to see each other again, but quite honestly it was not on my radar that I would have these moments happen so soon. They were more like secret whispers of prayer and a fleeting dream that someday I would give them hugs, shed tears of joy and worship the Lord together with them again.

There was an amazing bond which occurred while we were together in the constant cold and rains of last year’s South African winter. Serving in rough conditions, during attack after attack from the enemy we found

Such joy...

Such peace...

Such love...

I could go on, but these stories are not for today's blog. I am mentioning them because joy, peace, and love are things that occur in the midst and sometimes messiness of being God's hands and feet to the lost or hurting.

 Today though, is just a moment to say thank you to my Lord, and to remember that Love does.


I love this phrase...
Love does.

Bob Goff, wrote a book very aptly named, Love Does. I find it a blast to read. It's simple, hilarious and to the point. Love does.

This is just how our Lord is. It's not about what He is going to do for you. God has already done it at the cross, but our Lord who paid the ultimate sacrifice for us does not stop there, and He could mind you, but no!

He continuously shows up every day and does the amazing for us if we are willing to open our eyes and see it. From the seemingly simple to the profound there is so much our Lord is doing for us and it always revolves around this… His love for us.

Love does.

This is why I can sit here in the cool of Pastor Jim and Miss Sheila's home and happily listen to dear Julia's quiet breathing as she sleeps. I can hear Meemee in the kitchen getting things ready for tonight’s dinner. (I need to type a bit faster so I can get out there and hopefully help her). I know that in the next 2 rooms are Rhoda, Andria, and my dear sister in Christ Liesl taking naps soundly. My praise brother Ryan is with Michelle and Jason whom it has been a joy to get to know as well. What a joy. I never would have dreamed of this privilege to be here with them all. It brings grateful tears to my eyes thinking on how God has used each one of these dear friends and family to be His hands and feet this last week, and even month.  Love does.
So what can you do today? How can you be the Lord's hands and feet and do something in Love for someone else?  Please don't just think about it and then let the day’s cares, errands, and worries interrupt your follow through. Do it.

Remember Love does.



Matthew 22:37-40

Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment." The second is like it; "Love your neighbor as yourself." All the Prophets hang on these two commandments."


Peepee and his triplets!

Sunday dinner at Peepee and Meemee's home.

The girls with lovely "Meemee", Miss Sheila.


Last time we were together my dear sister in Christ Liesl and I forgot to get a picture together.
Oh so silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment